Thursday, August 16, 2007

Last Call for Alcohol

Right now
He's probably buying her some
Fruity little drink
'Cause she can't shoot whiskey...

I love that song and I don't even like country. I'm a classic rocker in real life.

Let's chat about drinking. I am a serious social drinker. When we get together with friends, the cocktails flow. I, personally, like drinks that don't really taste like drinks. Fruity martinis. Frosty frozen rummy drinks. And, my current beverage of choice poolside...pink lemonade with Absolute Citroen.

When I drink, I smoke. They go hand in hand. Like Sonny and Cher. Like bread and butter. Like...well..like drinking and smoking.

We are spending the weekend up north with 70 of our closest friends. I know, I know...we just got back from vacation. I lead a tough life, don't I?!?

There will be drinking involved. Lots of it.

Can I handle drinking without smoking? Should I have a little cocktail at home tonight and see how I react? Or, is drinking just another bad habit that will have to go bye-bye with the butts?

Why do I ask questions that there is no answer to and no one to answer?

Hmmmm. I wonder.

2 comments:

maggie said...

Smoking and drinking go hand in hand for me, too, so I've only dipped my toe into that water so far this time because of my past experience. Still, plenty of folks who quit smoking are able to have some drinks without trouble. One person I know went out for drinks the first day not smoking because that was something he knew he'd need to be able to do, and he did just fine. Others have tried the same and wound up smoking. Others like me have just been waiting until the right moment.

I'd say to be honest with yourself about how ready you are, and if you do decide you are ready, then just go cautiously with some kind of a plan - whether to drink a little less or to go hang out with others you know have quit or something, anything, that will help you to stick with your quit.

Good luck!

AMANDA said...

I have the same problem. I am on day 3 of not smoking. I want a smoke, but more than anything else, I want a few cold beers tonight. I know I can't do it though b/c when I drink, I smoke. I pretty much chain smoke. And every time I have quit quitting, it was because I was out drinking and lit up. So now my plan is to stay away from alcohol until I get a couple of weeks of not smoking under my belt.
Good luck to you!!!