Thursday, August 9, 2007

Secrets

I decided to tell my husband and daughter that I quit smoking last night at dinner. I'm feeling pretty confident that this is it for me, so I wanted to ask for their support.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Want to hear my big news?

Daughter: Is it about me? (because everything is all about her in her little 8 year old mind)

Me: No, honey bunny, it's my big news.

Husband: Are you pregnant?

Me: Yeah, right. (brilliant guess, vasectomy boy. If I was pregnant, it obviously wouldn't be yours, so I don't think I'd share that particular news over a family dinner of burgers and pasta salad!)

Husband: You got a raise?

Me: I just got a raise a few months ago!

Husband: You quit smoking?

Me: Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

He went out later and bought me flowers. Of course, in his mind, anytime he does something nice for me I should immediately have an uncontrollable urge to "spunky his monkey". Um, not tonight dear. I have a headache. And, that ain't no lie!

I love you
You love me
We're a happy family...

1 comment:

maggie said...

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that you feel like this time is the real one and can gather the support of your family around you.

Hey, and having gotten a raise awhile back is a nice thing, too!