Thursday, August 16, 2007

Side Effects

Chantix really is a great drug that has made quitting so much easier then going cold turkey. But, to be honest, I have had some side effects.

1. Nausea - I had no problems with nausea in the beginning, but the last two days haven't been fun. It hits within minutes of taking the pill, even on a full stomach with 12 ounces of water. I'm hoping it's just a phase!

2. Constipation - When I first started taking Chantix, I had some diarrhea. Now, I'm stopped up like the Hoover Dam. My input is greatly exceeding my output and it's getting pretty uncomfortable. I'm hoping that being home and on a more "regular" diet will help pop the plug. Too much information? Hey, poop is a big topic of conversation in our family. Now people can tell me I'm full of crap and it's actually the truth!

3. Nightmares - During my research before starting on Chantix, lots of people talked about their "vivid dreams". To me, that didn't sound like a really bad thing. Unfortunately, my "vivid dreams" have actually been pretty crazy nightmares. Bad nightmares. Like Nazi's trying to kill me type of stuff. I've actually sat up screaming in bed, totally freaking my husband out. Last night wasn't really bad. It just involved rats crawling all over my body while I kept yelling "Call the exterminator, damn it!" And, seriously, that's about the best night's sleep I've had in the past week.

So, to sum thing up, quiting smoking with Chantix hasn't been all sunshine and daisy's for me. I'm bloated and crabby from sleep deprivation, but I'm a non-smoker bloated and crabby from sleep deprivation. It's worth it.

1 comment:

maggie said...

Hang in there! Some of my side effects have come and gone (and the nausea returned). So far mine have been tame enough to still make it worthwhile to keep letting Chantix help me along. Hopefully yours will tame down some, too! Being smoke-free is such a great thing, though, and you are doing awesome!