Sunday, August 5, 2007

Quit Date

My new best friend and one woman online support group, Maggie, has informed me that I have to set a do or die quit date.

According to the information in the medication, that date should be tomorrow. Monday, August 6th. The start of my new non-smoking life.

According to my brain, it's not tomorrow. How do I know? Because I just bought two packs of cigarettes at the drugstore. Now, if I was quitting tomorrow, why would I need two packs of cigarettes?

I need to pick a date and it needs to be soon. I'm thinking maybe Wednesday?

We're heading down to visit my family on Friday and will be gone until next Wednesday. That means we'll be driving in a car a total of 24 hours over 2 days (there and back). I don't smoke in the car with my husband and daughter, so that should help right there. I won't have to do the whole "fake like I need to go potty when I really just want him to stop so I can smoke" routine. Man, I'm such an actress. Is there a special academy award for this type of thing? :)

My entire family are non-smokers, so changing my routine and environment should be a good thing, right? This isn't really a fun filled family vacation kind of trip. It's more of an obligation annual visit sort of thing.

Any opinions? Anyone? Hello, is this thing on?!? ;)

2 comments:

maggie said...

I do think it's a good idea to have a specific last possible day quit date, and for me 2 weeks sounded reasonable. The Chantix starts kicking up tomorrow, so beyond that, it's up to you, and a car trip does sound like a good time. I needed more time than that, Stan needed less time than that, and still others did it right on Day 8. I'd just pick what you think sounds realistic for you and then run with it!

exsmoker mom said...

Wednesday it is! Next year I can celebrate my one year of being a non smoker on 8-8-08!